Monday, September 20, 2010

Is the "EASY" way the "Best" way?

This is another follow up of something God showed me at the Thursday night group. One of the things I shared was regarding my old way of reacting and responding to Tom.  As I was thinking back and remembering how I handled things, I was able to see that my reactions and behaviors were "automatic" for me... which meant that these thoughts, feelings and reactions came "easy" to me.  All the judgmental thoughts and comments, the criticisms, the negative thoughts, the self righteous "I'm better than you" attitudes and treatments...  all those things came very natural to me!  They just slipped right off my tongue like butter and with hardly a thought!  But, saying and doing all of those things did NOT make me happy... well, maybe for a moment or two :)  But, in actuality, It seemed the more I said and did those things, the more I wanted to do them and no matter how much I did, it did not "satisfy" me!  It was never enough...

Now, I am taking the "harder" road and learning a NEW way of thinking, speaking and reacting.  God is transforming me, from the inside out, as I seek HIM and His ways and righteousness and I am MUCH happier!  

So, in essence I am realizing even more that, before, I was taking the easy way but that didn't making me happy but when I decided to chose "God's" way, even though it was much harder because it went against my selfish "flesh", the result is that I am finding more joy, peace and happiness than I did before!  I always seem to go back to the "eating right and exercising" analogy; Who wants to eat salads and vegetables all the time (besides me :)), and who wants to workout to loose weight?  Just give me a pill that will "melt" the pounds off of me and let me eat whatever I want!!  "Easy" is not always the "best" for us.  If we want what is best for us we HAVE to do the WORK.  That is a natural law and nothing anyone says can change that!  Just like our husbands, if they don't do the work to be freed from the addiction, they won't get the desired results.  

So, I guess I am saying all this to encourage you to keep seeking the Lord and looking to HIM for all things and take your eyes off of your husband.  Do the work on yourself and trust God to do what needs to be done with your man.  It is MUCH harder but the results are much better too :)  There are many verses in the Bible that talk about "pressing on" (Philippians 3:12&14), "straining ahead" (Philippians 3:13) , "crucifying yourself" (Galatians 2:20 and Romans 6:6), taking up your cross daily (Luke 9:23), running the race (1 Corinthians 9:24)... all these scriptures indicate that there is much effort to achieving the "goal" and the "prize"... And what is the prize you may be asking?  I believe it is the "knowledge" of God...  As we seek, strain and press into our Lord and Savior He reveals Himself to us and we become more like Him and then our lives are the testimony of a "transforming" and loving God and the "Gospel" is preached to all who are watching!

Father, I thank you so much for your Word of Truth and transforming power in our lives.  I pray that we each press, strain, and run towards You more and more every day!  I pray that You give us the strength we need to set aside our fleshly desires and pick up Your cross, ways and attitudes in our lives.  Help us to become the women, wives and mothers you created us to be, in Jesus name, amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate how my feeble mind forgets so quickly and gives in. I am challenged to press in. Let's face it life is hard. One choice we make for the day can determine if we are going to fight or just give in throwing our hands up. I give in a lot and Satan uses it to defeat me. I love how your Blog encourages me at a critical time when I need to fight. -M

Linda Daniels said...

I pray that the Lord will give you the strength to do what is BEST over what is easy each and every day!