Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Want Your Weakness...

Tom brings the scripture up about the rich young ruler on a regular basis and once again, we were talking about it a couple days ago and there is so much in here I decided that we needed to write a blog on it:
Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" Why do you ask me about what is good? Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." Which ones? The man inquired. Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.' " All these I have kept, the young man said. "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Matthew 19:16-22 (NIV)

In this scripture the rich young ruler believed he had a lot to offer Jesus and His ministry but Jesus said he needed to get rid of all that he had before he could follow him. He was a “rich young ruler” so he must have been a leader in the synagogue with wealth, power, authority and influence. He had a lot of confidence, self-righteousness and pride in himself and in his position. He had “kept” all the commandments that Jesus mentioned and was looking for the one “good” thing that would give him eternal life.  But Jesus said that he lacked one thing… He told him to sell all he had, give to the poor and he would have treasure in heaven. Then he could follow Him! The saddest part about this scene is that the young ruler went away!!! He was sorrowful but he chose his possessions and position over following Jesus, the only one who could give him eternal life… which is what he was asking for!! So, what did he lack??

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. Luke 9:23-24 (NIV)

Let’s face it, aren't we like this rich young ruler? Our possessions, education and talents are very valuable to us… sometimes they mean more to us than following Jesus. I think this story in the Bible needs more of our attention than we give it. It isn’t a metaphor or a parable spoken by Jesus but He really IS asking the young man, and us, to give it ALL UP before we can follow Him! I don’t think Jesus wants anything “we” can offer Him except our weakness, surrender and obedience. Anything else is worthless to Him (All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.”  Isaiah 64:6). Paul recalls what God said to him in 2 Corinthians 12:7 My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness

I have nothing against getting educated or trained in general but, for me personally, I have chosen not to get “formal” training in some areas of ministry because I know that I would tend to lean on my “training” or “education” rather than on God’s Holy Spirit to lead and guide me. I think, if we let Him, the Holy Spirit trains us as we surrender and trust HIM in all situations (It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me. John 6:45). It may sound weird but, I feel better NOT knowing what God will do so that the Lord can do and say what He wants through me rather than me relying on my education and trying to do things MY way.

This blog could very easily go under the “Upside down” header because it is another very unnatural thing for us to do. In the world we are groomed, trained, educated and prepared for our careers and ministry, but in the Kingdom, God does things very differently… He wants us to TRUST Him, no matter what things look like and have faith in HIS good plan. His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts.

Paul was a Pharisee of Pharisees, able to talk and reason with the Jews since he was one himself, he could explain things so they could understand, but he was sent as an apostle to the gentiles!! And Peter, an unschooled fisherman was sent as an apostle to the Jews! (Philippians 3:4, Acts 4:13 and Galatians 2:7) Does that make sense to us? They went to the people they were not “trained” for so that God could lead, guide and direct them in every way. I believe He wants us completely empty of ourselves, knowledge and expertise so he can fill us with Himself, His knowledge, love and compassion! We need to be broken bread and poured out wine, surrendered, and emptied. We need to be emptied before we can be filled… are we too full of ourselves for God to fill us up with Him??  I would have to confess my answer would have to be “yes”…  "Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (NIV)

So what did the rich your ruler lack?? I believe he lacked the humility and the willingness to come to Jesus empty and weak with only his life to give. I believe he lacked the willingness to let it all go, all that the world deems valuable, and be emptied of himself so that he could be filled with Jesus. Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15

Is God calling me to let go of something (my children, my finances, my life…)? Is God calling you to let something go?

Lord, what you ask of me it so hard! It makes no sense to me at all! It goes against everything I have been taught and have known all my life, and against my logic, common sense and reason, yet you still ask it of me. Give me the strength and the courage to let it all go and follow you!! I choose YOU Lord. I want to be weak so that YOU can be strong!

No comments: