Thursday, March 11, 2010

Linda's Journal - March 11, 2010

Tuesday morning the Lord had a very strong theme going on for me!!  It started off with The True Vine devotional:
March 9th’s True Vine: John 15:4 - “The branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine. No more can ye, except ye abide in me.” There is but one way for the branch to bear fruit, there is no other possibility, it must abide in unbroken communion with the vine. Not of itself, but only of the vine, does the fruit come. … how strong and universal the tendency would be to seek to bear fruit by our own efforts; how difficult it would be to get us to believe that actual, continuous abiding in Him is an absolute necessity! He insists upon the truth: Not of itself can the branch bear fruit; except it abide, it cannot bear fruit. “No more can ye, except ye abide in me.”

And Tom added this scripture when we were talking about it:
John 15:16“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”  So is it possible to bear your own fruit that will NOT last?? 

Then I read Oswald:
March 9th’s Oswald: Many people today are pouring their lives out and working for Jesus Christ, but are not really walking with Him. One thing God constantly requires of us is a oneness with Jesus Christ. After being set apart through sanctification, we should discipline our lives spiritually to maintain this intimate oneness. When God gives you a clear determination of His will for you, all your striving to maintain that relationship by some particular method is completely unnecessary. All that is required is to live a natural life of absolute dependence on Jesus Christ. Never try to live your life with God in any other way than His way. And His way means absolute devotion to Him. Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus.

Oswald cracks me up with his “simple” statements!  “All that is required is…” which to me he is saying “it’s simple, all you need to do is….”  But it is the hardest thing you have ever done in your life!! Honestly, who can live in “absolute dependence on Jesus” even one day of your life let alone all the time!!??? I say this but that is my one true goal in life!! Lord, I want to get there!!  Help me to get there, please!

March 9th’s Intimacy with God study: Mark 1:32-38 
“That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. The whole town gathered at the door, and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was. Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!" Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else--to the nearby villages--so I can preach there also. That is why I have come."

In this scripture, I can completely see that anyone who was not in “unbroken communion” with and “abiding with” the Father would be tempted to stay in that village and be the “center of attention”!! How tempting that would be! It could very easily and very quickly become all about “ME” instead of “what the Father called me to do”. Is that what is happening all around the world with Christians today? They start off with a passion and a vision from the Lord and end up doing their own thing because they stopped “abiding” and starting “working and striving” for God in their own strength?

This morning’s time with the Lord was on how setting aside the “time” can be very difficult and easily set aside and missed. In my “intimacy with God” study, her description of the Lord was “He is the KING of Kings and He is passionate about His relationship with you”!!  Wow.  Back in the day when we had “kings”, if he summoned me to spend time with him every morning, I would do EVERYTHING I could to get there!! Why is it that I struggle to get up in the mornings to spend that time with “The Creator and Maker of the UNIVERSE!! Holy cow… there is something seriously wrong with me!! I need a serious adjustment to my attitude and perspective of who God is and what He means to me!!

The True Vine devotional today reminded me that I am to be only “The Branch”! :
You are the branch.—You need be nothing more. You need not for one single moment of the day take upon you the responsibility of the Vine. You need not leave the place of entire dependence and unbounded confidence. You need, least of all, to be anxious as to how you are to understand the mystery, or fulfill its conditions, or work out its blessed aim. The Vine will give all and work all. The Father, the Husbandman, watches over your union with and growth in the Vine. You need be nothing more than a branch. Only a branch! Let that be your watchword; it will lead in the path of continual surrender to Christ’s working, of true obedience to His every command, of joyful expectancy of all His grace.

There is it again… “… The place of entire dependence…”

Lord, I pray that you would give me a revelation of who You are and who I am in You!! Give me what I need to be able to “abide in unbroken dependence and communion” with you!! Help me Lord to just “Be the Branch” and not try to be the Vine and take control. Help me to rest in You and wait upon You for all things in all ways. In your wonderful and precious name I pray.  Amen!

No comments: