Friday, March 12, 2010

Linda's Journal - March 12, 2010

Friday, March 12, 2010

Today’s topic in the “Intimacy with God” study was “finding a certain place” (if you don’t have one already) to spend time with the Lord. I have mine in the corner of the couch with my light and computer. It is nice and quiet :) She started talking about the mornings when things aren’t so quiet and distractions come that are beyond your control…  the scriptures she brought up was Luke 9:10-11:

“When the apostles returned, they reported to Jesus what they had done. Then he took them with him and they withdrew by themselves to a town called Bethsaida, but the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing.”

What struck me was the “He welcomed them” part!  He didn’t get angry, frustrated or annoyed (like me) but had compassion on them and healed those who needed healing!! This was a bit convicting… and reveals just how much more work the Lord has to do in me! The fruit of the “Spirit” is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self control…” and Jesus exuded all those traits in his ministry and dealings with the people. I so desire to have those things just flow naturally through me… but my flesh just seems to over ride that desire most of the time! Lord, more of YOU please and less of me!!

And then of course, Oswald hit the nail on the head once again…
Total Surrender
Mark 10:28 “Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

Our Lord replies to this statement of Peter by saying that this surrender is "for My sake and the gospel's" (Mar_10:29). It was not for the purpose of what the disciples themselves would get out of it. Beware of surrender that is motivated by personal benefits that may result… Our motive for surrender should not be for any personal gain at all. We have become so self-centered that we go to God only for something from Him, and not for God Himself….

True surrender will always go beyond natural devotion. If we will only give up, God will surrender Himself to embrace all those around us and will meet their needs, which were created by our surrender. Beware of stopping anywhere short of total surrender to God. Most of us have only a vision of what this really means, but have never truly experienced it.

Lord, as always, please help me to surrender my all to you!  Less of me, more of You, in Jesus name, amen

No comments: